Thursday, October 15, 2009

Wolgin Gallery

Recently I viewed the Wolgin Exhibition at Tyler.... I didn't exactly get it but I can say that they were very entertaining.
When I first walked into the gallery, what first appealed to me was the sound. Sounds could be heard from every part of the large room. What next struck me was, tree? Let me just say that Sanford Biggers and Ryan Trecartin's work stood out the most to me. It could have been the video aspect of it or the overall impact of their imagery but their work remained in my mind the longest.

First, Sanford Biggers. That tree really got me. Did he make a tree? Impressive. I saw the video imbedded in the tree trunk. I moved to cover my ears with the headphones. As soon as this occured, it was like I'd entered another world, a twilight zone of sorts. I didn't like it. I felt instantaneously uncomforatble. From the creepy music and imagery to this impending sense of someone lurking behind me, to the gathering of beer bottles that suddenly struck my attention, he worked to create an eery sense of discomfort. When the music and video sped up, it literally frightened me. I couldn't finish watching the video. And nothing ever scares me.

Second, Ryan Trecartin. What's with the amputated foot in the sand and the ghostly makeup? came to mind first. The video amused me. I first started watching and then I couldn't stop. Throughout the clownlike, high voiced, seemingly random charade, I kept wondering, what is he trying to say? I already don't understand video, and this one seemed to go even beyond my understanding. I thought, why? He's giving me a lot of specific information from the makeup to the high voices and vibrant colors and the editing but I couldn't decide why. I thought at first that he could be making a comentary on women today because he mainly used men with an audacious amount of make up. But he did use women as well and that just didn't seem to fit. Then I thought, maybe about culture and a sort of Dionysian existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment