Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Lecture #9

Like the other lectures, I found this one interesting. He was a lively man who actually works in the Tyler metals and jewelery department. He made a lot of jokes and was very charismatic and outgoing which helped engage the audience.

I was pleased with how aesthetically pleasing his work was. It seemed as though his earlier jewelery might have been inspired by hair rollers though I'm not sure. It impressed everyone that he had a level of fame about him, from working to create work for the queen to celebrities on MTV. It added to this cool persona that captivated us. His later work integrated himself in an interesting way with creating sculptures based on his blood pressure.

He also spoke of the nervousness that artists feel, and the uncertainty that becomes the measure of success for us. I don't know how I feel about that. I agree though is this how it should be? Should artists continue to feel this worry to become successful. I myself feel the same worry because, like him, I've experienced the same foundation that stripped me of all cockiness and certainty, leaving me hesitant and insecure in some ways and it's spilled over to my everyday life. The natural process after this stripping down of the ego would be to build it back up but that hasn't exactly happened for me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment